I read a post by a friend on Facebook recommending plain mustard as salad dressing. Then I had a stream of consciousness moment, my mind went from considering mustard on my salad to thinking, “Yum, mustard” to suddenly thinking of soft pretzels.
I LOVE mustard on soft pretzels. So I decided to get cooking and this is what I came up with.
This is a Vegan Recipe! Serve with mustard (or with whatever you enjoy on your pretzels).
6 tsp yeast
2 tsp raw sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water
4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup raw sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup baking soda
4 cups hot water
Kosher Salt for topping
1. In a small bowl combine yeast, 2 tsp raw sugar, and warm water.
2. Let stand for 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine 3 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and 2 tsp salt.
4. Add in oil and yeast mixture.
5. Mix to form a dough ball and knead in 1/2 cup of flour.
6. Knead until dough is elastic and smooth, 8 minutes.
7. Lightly oil a large bowl and place dough ball inside and cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
8. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
9. Bring water to a light boil.
10. Dissolve baking soda in hot water and remove from heat.
11. Divide dough into 12 pieces.
12. Roll out each piece into a rope and twist into pretzel shape.
13. Dip each pretzel into baking soda water and place on a greased baking sheet.
14. Sprinkle with salt.
15. Bake for 9 minutes.
16. Cool on a wire rack.
Tip: do not skip the baking soda bath, it is nessecary for browning and to give the pretzel a hard outer shell while keeping the center soft.