For about 2 cups of tahini, you’ll need:
2 C sesame seeds
1/3 C olive oil
First, you’ll need to toast the sesame seeds.
1. Heat a heavy, wide-bottomed sauté pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add the sesame seeds and toast lightly – about 2 minutes, shaking the pan so they toast evenly. Keep a careful eye on the sesame seeds as they go from toasted to burnt really quickly. As soon as they start to brown, they are done.
3. Transfer to a bowl and let cool completely.
Next, you’ll process the toasted seeds with the olive oil.
1. Put the toasted sesame seeds in a food processor and drizzle in the olive oil.
2. Pulse for 3-5 minutes, or until it’s as smooth as you can get it.
3. Add a little more olive oil if necessary.
4. Remove from food processor and store in the refrigerator.
My husband will eat tahini on bread. You can eat it like any other nut or seed butter. I like to use tahini in my hummus.