Today is baking day. It is nice to have something simple and delicious on hand to grab as breakfast on the way out the door. I try to bake a few things on the weekends to keep for the week. That is, if I can keep J from eating it all up in one day.
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk (optional)
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup applesauce
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 dash of salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 cups whole wheat or gluten free flour
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and spices in one bowl. Whisk together until all of the dry ingredients are combined.
2. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
3. Pour your apple sauce, vanilla and maple syrup into the well. Combine wet and dry, if it seems too dry add non-dairy milk.
4. Use a large spoon to scoop onto a greased cookie sheet, or use your hands to shape into a ball and press down slightly. Sprinkle the tops with a small amount of raw sugar. Makes six scones.
5. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until firm to touch.